Sunday, March 04, 2007

well played mr. kaos...

5+ years ago when Mike and I decided to take the next big step and say I do I made a choice to take his name. It was a choice. There was no battle. No difficulty. He made it quite clear in fact that he wouldn't be at all injured or alarmed if I chose not to take his extremely very German last name.

I thought about it... for a moment, maybe a few moments and decided for a multitude of reasons that I would be better off taking his name after taking the plunge... He was a little surprised... His American spelling impaired last name paired with my unusual and difficult to spell first name made for a comic wonderland of pronunciation errors and long spelling bouts at doctors offices and over the phone... but it was what I wanted so we went with it.


Now though I find myself using Kaos far more often than my real last name, after all how many times in the course of a normal day does a stay at home parent like myself introduce herself by saying something other than "Hi, I'm Cami, K's mom". The other day I looked at Mike and said teasingly (but seriously) he was from now going to be referred to as Mr. Kaos...

Yes, I am changing my fully grown husband's name...and he said?

wow, thank you sweetie that is really nice...

Why yes, yes it is. Not only did I love him enough to take his last name, give it to our daughter and live as the Germanname Family I love him enough to share the moniker that a good friend blessed me with years ago (thanks Aunt J). Does this mean that he's going to go to work and change the name on his fancy ID badge? Have all future earnings made out to Mr. Kaos? Break the news to Mom & Dad Germanname? No. But you can bet if you hear my man playing the drums and you say Hey, who's that playing the drums? He'll answer, Mr. Kaos. Nice to meet you...

it's good to bring some Kaos to the family...

3 comments:

Bubblewench said...

Can I introduce him to Scott as Mr. Kaos?

CamiKaos said...

no. you can introduce him as mr. bubblewench.

Bubblewench said...

So it would be Mr. Bubblewench this is Mr. Kaos? I think you misunderstood me originally... LOL!! Scott wouldn't be Mr. Kaos - Mike would be!