Wednesday, July 30, 2008

the dentist got me high...

Tuesday morning I had to go to the dentist...

First thing...

10 AM.

That may not be first thing for you but it was first thing for me. All I had time to do was shower, dress, feed K and then eat a skimpy breakfast myself before hurrying down the road to my dentist's office.

It used to be that even the thought of going to the dentist would cause me so much stress that I shut down completely and ceased to deal with reality. I'm being completely honest when I say I don't really like people touching me.

My husband and daughter are alone in their ability to have physical contact with me without it causing discomfort. Then my mom and dad. Then a few close friends.

There are some days that I'm feeling warm and will see a friend and I will hug them.

There are some days that when people touch me it's totally just so I won't hurt their feelings.

Some people know this and respect my space. I appreciate those people.

I particularly dislike having anyone (except Dr. Normal and K) touch my face... as you can imagine that makes going to the dentist a pretty unpleasant experience for me.

Especially since I've never been able to find a dentist I feel comfortable with.

Until now.

When I lost a filling not to long ago (the same day my computer DIED) I had to call the dentist to fix it. So I did. I called a dentist less than a mile from my house with an amazing reputation for kindness and great skill.

Plus my mother-in-law was the office manager there for a decade or more...

He was nice. He scolded me just a little for not taking very good care of myself and then moved on to create a dental plan that we could follow to get some work that needs to be done and some work that I want done.

Tuesday morning was the first appointment in this long line of dental appointments, and while I went into it with a certain amount of dread... I wasn't panicking. I wasn't freaking out.

I was okay with having this new Dentist work on my teeth.

And I was right. He was calm. He was patient. He was careful. He was skilled.

And unlike any dentist I have ever been to, he likes to use laughing gas on his patients...

Dude.

Um...

My dentist totally got me high.

7 comments:

Korie said...

I sooo want your dentist. Every time I've been to the dentist here (more times than I'd like...stupid root canal)all they do is shoot me up with novocaine. I can deal with shots anywhere but in my mouth.
Well, or maybe my eyeball, but that has yet to happen.

Lauren said...

WOO HOO!!! That sounds like a plan I'd stick to also, haha! I like my dentist because he's nice to look at ;) hehehe...

Stu said...

Note to self: don't touch Cami's face.

-Stu

AngelConradie said...

i think i am liking your dentist... i need one like that!

holly said...

oh YEAH baby. i love some dentist-high! i remember in college, the first time i had 'the gas', i was asked "oh so you're in accounting. you must have lots of math." i knew the gas had kicked in because i went "oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, i have maaaaaaath. lotsa maaaaaath."

i didn't have one math course that term.

although maybe that's why i didn't really go that far with accounting...
i'm pretty sure it wasn't the gas...
or was it...

Jenera said...

I hate the dentist so much that it literally sends me into the mother of all panic attacks even thinking of it. I really need to go but they refuse to sedate a pregnant woman and being sedated is the only way I can suffer through it.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh he sounds fabulous my lovely. What a nice man. I don't like people touching my face either, unless I married or gave birth to them, then it's lovely. :D