Friday, September 07, 2007

why I don't watch scary movies...

I know that several of you are scary movie viewers. Lovers of the fright flicks if you will.

I am not.

Don't get me wrong there are some frightening movies I will watch. But not horror flicks. Not movies for the sake of scary. I'll watch something with a terror undertone as long as I am not staring at gore the whole time...

I make exceptions for things starring Bruce Campbell or anything that may be funny...

I am a big fan of Evil Dead don't you know.

So When we noticed that TiVo (that cheeky little monkey) recorded Shaun of the Dead. I had to pause a moment to consider what I wanted to do. I had heard it was quite funny after all... but it was 10:30 at night at my dreams are so susceptible to tampering...

(that should read: I am a GIANT SISSY)

But there we were curled up in bed wanting to watch a show so I turned it on to see if it would be worth saving to watch later. And the first 10 minutes I thought were very good. And the next, and so on until Mr. Kaos said "You're going to watch a zombie movie before you go to sleep?" I smiled knowing I was silly and said yes I was going to risk it and I did. And we watched it together. Sadly it was the edited for TV version so all the good swearing was muted out but what was I to expect?

We really liked it, there was a great deal of liking, really. Then at the end there was the happily ever after and while I waited all along for the punchline my darling Mr. Kaos didn't see it coming... and as he held me safe in his arms he literally jolted. jumped. started...

And so instead of drifting off with terrified thoughts of flesh eating drones in mind I thought of how sweet life can be and how much I can sometimes enjoy the unexpected.

Like when my big strong man is the one surprised by the flesh eating zombie ending instead of frightful little me.

12 comments:

sybil law said...

That sounds like you're saying he should be scared of frightful little you more than the movie! Haha
No - that is some funny stuff. Poor Mr. Kaos might not live that one down!
Good movie. Did you then have dreams of protecting Mr. K?! From, oh I don't know... a spider?! Heehee

Jen said...

I love Shaun of the Dead. My favorite scene is when they're in the backyard trying to decide what records are ok to throw at the zombies.

CamiKaos said...

Syb: Careful girl, you're gonna me in TROUBLE...

Jen: That has to be my favorite scene too... I was in stitches.

Bubblewench said...

I love that movie! And the record part is funnier then hell.

I love how the one guy thinks going to the pub is the best idea cause of the beer.

Lindy said...

great movie! I'm a big sissy when it comes to scary movies but loved this one. I forget about edited cuss words for television. We have full frontal nudity here!! Dinga-linga-ding-DONG!!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes - Shaun of the Dead - a great movie, a classic. If one is to watch dead zombie movies, this is a must. Okay, the gore is a bit much, but really, it kind of worked itself into the humor in places, as if to punctuate a matter.

Oh and I described "Jauntreuse" on an update if you REALLY want to know. :-)

Unknown said...

I love that movie. The Brits seem to have the horror-comedy thing down. You should check out "Severance" some time. Hilarious, though definitely a bit scarier than "Shaun of the Dead."

flutter said...

I love that movie, too

mielikki said...

scary movies, for me, are for snuggling purposes, only. Perhaps, I need to see this one, though. Everyone else seems to like it. . .
Hey! why is my word verification cnerd?
I object! I'm going to e mail blogger right now!

AngelConradie said...

oh that is SO cool- and i love a suprise ending!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Cami and Jen I love that bit in the film too.

I'm not into scary in a big way but I do like thrillers.

We see a lot of Simon Pegg over here and he makes me larf most of the time.

Hot Fuzz is another film he's in. It's funny in a weird British way.

Velma said...

I'm a big sissy as well - I just can't handle the adrenaline, I guess! I definitely try to avoid that scary stuff, because if I don't I won't sleep and will imagine all sorts of horrors in the closet, the corner, the basement...BOOGEYMAN! Aaarrgh!